If you know me, you know that I am in love with Women For Women International. I have been sponsoring sisters for years. I can’t say it enough, Women For Women is an AMAZING and OUTSTANDING organization.
Last week, I was asked to write a little something about their newest venture. Little did they know, it was already on my list of things to write about! I was honored to be asked and knew I wanted to play even a small part in helping them get the word out about Run For Congo Women.
You don’t have to be a runner to help. You can walk, swim, or you can have a dance off! Use your imagination to raise money for this amazing cause. You can throw a party too. Use this time to educate your friends and family about these amazing women who have survived war. Here is a Sample Fundraising Letter to send to friends and family to make your fundraising announcement.
Most people don’t know or understand the horrific things that are happening to our sisters in the Congo. Here are just a few facts that I took from RunForCongoWomen website:
More than 5.4 million people have died.
- 38,000 continue to die every month, 1200 a day.
- Half of these deaths are children under the age of 5 years.
- Most children don’t reach their 5th birthday.
- Women are targeted daily for gang rape, torture, and sexual slavery.
- Women carry the heaviest of burdens. They have been gang raped. Tortured. Watched their husbands and children murdered in front of them. Forced to flee their homes. They are internally displaced persons with no means of supporting themselves or their living children. Many have watched two, four, even seven children die from preventable illnesses.
“When we Run for Congo Women, we are sending a simple message: Congolese lives matter. The lives of Congolese women are significant. The lives of Congolese children are precious. They have waited far too long. They are worth our effort. We are running to help. Join us!”
Take a look at the cities below. Sign up & help raise money for Congo Women. If you don’t live near these cities, keeping checking in at Women For Women International for updated cities. Remember, you can also do a Lone Run.
Here is a great video of RunForTheCongo.
Please, take a moment and visit Run For The Congo site. If you can’t get out and run, you can always do what I have done these past few years, and sponsor a sister yourself!