Approximately 25,000 people die every day of hunger or hunger-related causes according to the United Nations. We see natural disasters like the recent floods in the Midwest on the news almost every night. The list of endangered species is growing.
The needs of our world can seem overwhelming, especially if you or your friends aren’t currently involved in any organizations or volunteer efforts.
Can one person really make a difference?
But, where do you start, how do you help, with whom can you speak? If you or someone you know wants to find a tangible way that they can help here is what you tell them:
- All you need is about 1 hour and a computer with an Internet connection.
- During the first part of the hour, assess your personal passions. What touches you the most? Is it world poverty, animals, victims of natural disasters, victims of abuse?
- Once you have decide what problem you want to help solve sit down in front of your computer.
- Open the Google or Yahoo search and type in exactly what you are thinking: ie “Helping African Poverty”.
- You will get pages and pages of responses so just start clicking on any title that sounds interesting to you
- My bet is that within less than 1 hour you will have found so many ways to help and read so much important information that you will be able to make a decision right there as to what you want to do.
To prove my theory I did just that. I searched “helping African poverty” and within minutes came up with these sites:
- Network for Good Their “End Poverty in Africa” homepage has three different categories: Make a Donation, Be a Volunteer, Speak Out. You can simply click on a button to donate to such organizations as Action Against Hunger, Africa AIDS watch, Bread for the World. Or find out about volunteer opportunities with CARE, Peace Corps, Habitat for Humanity International, Idealist.org to name a few. Finally, if you want to speak out in support, they have links to 5 different campaigns including The ONE Campaign.
- African Aid offers information about education, health, water and economic programs in which you can get involved or support. And they provide a link to Tinyrevolutionary.com where you can buy a Tee-Shirt that says: This Shirt Saved a Life. For every purchase of one tee-shirt, $20 will be donated directly to Africa Aid to fund a child in their school lunch program in the Buduburam Refugee Settlement in Ghana for an entire year!
- World Vision has a Child Sponsorship program in which you can donate money to sponsor a child. You will even get a photo and name of the child you are helping!
- On Mongabay.com you can learn how Seniors are mobilizing to fight poverty in Africa. Referred to as the “Gray Corps” or “Senior Citzen’s Corps”, these aging citizens volunteer in developing countries similar to the Peace Corp.
- World of Good.com is an incredible resource created by ebay. On this Beta site they have 222 articles about how to make a difference; from “Growing Gardens in a Dry Desert” to Giving crafts people a helping hand”.
I was simply blown away by how easily and quickly I found so many amazing ways to give…whether it be my time or a donation.
This is my list. Now, I challenge each one who reads this post to add a link to an organization or information about how to make a difference in something YOU are passionate about!